Chelsea manager Maurizio Sarri has confirmed that the Blues’ hierarchy have been in discussions with defender David Luiz regarding a new contract, although he has no idea regarding the outcome of the meeting.
The Brazilian has evolved into a crucial performer under Sarri this term after a frustrating 2017/18 campaign, but his future continues to remain a concern ahead of the summer.
Luiz, who was a World Cup semi-finalist with Brazil five years ago, has a contract which expires at the end of the season and so far, the club have found no breakthrough in terms of an extension.
When stressed on the same, Sarri told Sky Sports: “I don’t know on David Luiz [staying]. I know that he had a meeting four or five days ago, but then my mind was on this match. I didn’t ask him the result of it. If you want, I will ask him [on Friday].”
Luiz is said to want a multi-year contract to commit his future to the west London side, but the Blues are currently holding firm on their policy of offering 12-month deals to players aged above 30.
The Blues are currently facing a two-window transfer ban and their inability to secure Luiz’s services could hamper their prospects of competing effectively in the league next term.
However, an appeal has been made regarding the same and there remains hope from the club’s end that they can at least freeze their embargo for the forthcoming summer.
Still, Luis remains a vital figure in the club’s setup and it will be interesting to see whether the player or the club will opt for a change in stance to sort out the standoff between them.